Are sterling silver rings good for sensitive skin?

People with sensitive skin can wear silver-plated jewelry, albeit with extreme care, as many of these accessories are made of nickel. On the one hand, the coating can offer a certain degree of protection by creating a barrier between the nickel and the user's skin. This is especially true when the coating is of premium quality and is made of hypoallergenic metals such as sterling silver. People with sensitive skin may wonder if sterling silver is hypoallergenic.

Sterling silver can be an excellent choice for those who suffer from skin reactions. Our guide explains the benefits of hypoallergenic sterling silver. Many people who suffer from metal allergies can stop their symptoms by switching to a purer metal, rather than an alloy. Gold, sterling silver, palladium, and stainless steel are often considered hypoallergenic metals.

Let's take a look at these and other hypoallergenic jewelry component options. Pieces made with 14 carat gold, such as these earrings that are plated in 14 carat gold on sterling silver. While it is possible to buy jewelry made only of pure silver, the most common type of silver jewelry on the market is sterling silver. Basically, it indicates that a particular piece meets the universal standard for sterling silver jewelry, in the sense that it must contain at least 92.5% pure silver, while the remaining 7.5% can be composed of other metals, such as copper, zinc and nickel.

If your item contains more than 80% pure silver, it will generally have an 800 mark, but it will not be considered traditional sterling silver. Azura jewelry is made of 925 sterling silver and is electroplated with 14-carat gold, which is safe for the skin. Sterling silver is hypoallergenic and is more than fine if you have particularly sensitive skin or ears. For the most part, sterling silver uses copper as an alloy, since copper itself is also a hypoallergenic metal.

This reaction, inappropriately called silver allergy, is actually caused by the nickel in the alloy, since pure silver is naturally hypoallergenic. Jewelry with 958 and 999 stamps are considered sterling silver and pure silver jewelry, respectively, since they contain 95.8% and 99.9% silver. These metals are generally not known to cause reactions in people with hypersensitive skin, so it's usually safe to assume that sterling silver is actually hypoallergenic. By investing in a pair of 925 silver earrings, you ensure that the pair of earrings you have contains 92.5% sterling silver and is less likely to contain more metals, such as nickel, which can make your ears uncomfortable.

You should also avoid sterling silver earrings that are too heavy if you suffer from sensitivity, as they can clump your ears.

Mitchell Groesser
Mitchell Groesser

General coffee nerd. Typical internet junkie. Award-winning food advocate. Subtly charming music fan. General twitter lover. Hardcore internetaholic.